Saturday, August 24, 2013

DAY 48 - Rivalry

I attended a high school that shared it's name with another high school across town. As you can imagine, there was a fairly big rivalry between are two schools; I was, er... lucky enough, I suppose, to be at my school during the time where I believe we started dominating our rivals, after years of the opposite being true.

Being a naive person and having friends who generally didn't mingle with others outside of school groups, I never really knew anybody outside of my own high school. Folks from our rival school I pretty much regarded as "them." It's interesting to me, then, that after so many years after high school I wound up being friends with a big chunk of people from that school. I don't know why that's a big deal, but for me it's a little surreal I guess. 

I generally thought of the rival school like, "Ooh, they're the enemy! We gotta beat 'em, woo," during the spirit weeks and all that. Granted, I never attended any non-mandatory spirit week events and, granted, the only time I think I went to a game was during homecoming week after I had graduated and we were mostly just visiting friends who were still there, so I was never really, enthusiastically for my school against this rival school. Still, it's a little surreal after being surrounded by folks all those years going "GRR RIVALS." 

Looking back on it now, my school life has generally seen a setting of a rival-like entity or entities, then during the next transition I end up being friends with those kids anyway. Elementary school was like that, middle school was like that and, ultimately, high school was like that. 

Thinking about stuff like this is always interesting to me, ha.


Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment