Wednesday, August 21, 2013

DAY 45 - Patient

"How can you be so patient," my coworker asks after handling a particularly annoying customer, and I wonder if this is true.

For me, so long as the "annoying" person in question seems kind or apologetic, or if the situation they're in is not their fault, I don't mind. It's hard to be angry or mad at someone who doesn't know what they want to order or someone who forgot just what exactly their friend or their relative wanted to have in their particular order. I don't fault the person if they speak too softly or too loudly, or if their kid is acting up.

I don't mind it when people are late because of some last minute thing they had to do or if they ran into unexpected traffic. I always have something to do, whether that be listening to music, playing a game, thinking about some story idea or whatever. My mind is always running, whether that's a good thing or not. If a person's upset and lashes out at me or someone I know, I don't hold it against them. People do crazy things in the heat of the moment.

Perhaps it's because I hope that others would afford me the same kind of patience. Who can say they've never been in a situation like that? I don't think anyone, generally speaking, wants to be a hindrance or a bother to another person.

After all, we're all just folks trying to get by, so why not show a little kindness?

Though...

"I think you've become more impatient," my friend told me awhile back after we'd caught up a bit, and I suppose this is true.


Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment