Sunday, August 11, 2013

DAY 35 - R&R

Tomorrow's the big day. It's Luigi train day! I'm pretty sure I'll go, though right now all a post-work me wants to do is rest and maybe play a video game or two.

It's been awhile since I've been able to rest for an extended period of time. I mean, I do have my rest time. My shifts are somewhat short (7-8 hours max) on any given day, and I usually have two or three days off a week. I'm talking about at least a week off to just do... whatever.

I guess that's a lot in retrospect. I was talking to a friend of mine who just recently landed a job with his degree about paid time off and whatnot. From what I remember him telling me, for every three weeks he gets a paid day off. That's pretty sweet. If my restaurant job had PTO like that, it would take me... 21 weeks to get a week off. That's 5 months, holy crap.

I literally stared at that, wide-eyed, and somewhat shocked. I'm pretty bad with time, though, so maybe I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was when I first read that.

There was a point in my life when I had no job and I took online classes. It was a really easy time because I spent my days how I wanted to. Looking back on it now, I regret those days in the sense that I never really got anything done but, on the other hand, I miss them because I was able to go wherever and do whatever so long as I had a little money.

Those days are in the rear-view mirror, though. If I play my cards right the future is going to be a lot of work.

That doesn't sound all too appealing, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment