Friday, August 9, 2013

DAY 33 - Memories

So yesterday I mentioned that I was the (not-so-proud) owner of a really bad memory. I wouldn't say it's terrible bad because I obviously remember who I am, who my friends and family are, so on and so forth. I'm just one of those guys who's just forgetful.

I'm not entirely sure what I can compare this too, but in my experience I feel like I have a bad memory. Maybe I just think that because I spend so much time with... well, myself. The instances I'm thinking about right now are generally just things that I think a lot of people do from time to time. Stuff like forgetting your keys at home or forgetting to mention a certain detail when telling a story or something.

If I have enough time to prepare beforehand I usually don't forget; usually the night before a few hours in advance where I don't have to do anything else but relax are good times. I've gotten into the habit of thinking about what I need before leaving the house, so that also helps. Hm... so maybe I have an average memory? I'm not quite sure.

What I am sure about, however...

I remember a couple of people, two older ladies my mom's age who I called tita or aunt, that I grew up with. I remember my cousins, friends and I would stay up playing games all night because our parents would be in the next room over playing mahjong. I remember how much fun both we all had fun on those nights, mostly every Saturday.

I remember when the games became less frequent. I remember my mom and grandma looking for more players, and myself wondering what happened to my titas.

I remember first hearing about my titas facing dementia or alzheimer's or something. I remember the first time I met one of my titas and she didn't recognize me.

I remember when my mom told me my other tita died from complications to her dementia.

So even if I managed to convince myself just now that I had a probably normal memory, there is one thing I am sure about. I am deathly afraid of just... forgetting.


Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment