Wednesday, September 25, 2013

DAY 80 - Baseball Present

I think I've mentioned some time before that I'm a baseball fan though it's hard to remember every little thing that you bring up over the course of 80 posts that isn't the main topic. In particular, I am an avid fan of the Chicago Cubs. I don't know everything there is to know about the Cubs past and present, but I think I know more than the average fan. Enough to know top prospects, projected year for contending and all that.

I bring this up because the this weekend is the last weekend for regular season baseball. October, for those who don't know, is playoff month and the Cubs... well, they're fourth to last--in the entire, thirty-team league. Despite the abysmal record, they're definitely better than last year and their recent signings are enough to make me look forward to 2014 (or 2015). Still, I support my team by going out to games and keeping up with the latest news.

But you see, the problem this year is... I didn't go to a single ball game. That might seem trivial or silly to some, but if memory serves I've gone to at least one baseball game every year. I've even gone to some games far north in Milwaukee, which was pretty fun.

Whenever I went to a game at the Friendly Confines, I usually went with a couple of friends. I think the issue this year is that our schedules never aligned and we took it for granted. Half of any team's games are played at home, so... "that's 81 whole games! We'll catch one eventually, right? Right?" But as I'm sitting here typing this, all 81 home games have come and gone, with the last three games of the Cubs' season happening south in St. Louis. I thought about making the trip out there with my friend, but the price would probably have been high due to the Cardinals being playoff-bound and, well, the trip itself.

It's okay though. Like a Cubs fan says, hoping their team will win a World Series, so too will I say hoping to catch a game in the future: there's always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment