Tuesday, September 17, 2013

DAY 72 - Punk-y

I upgraded my phone over the summer, but I wasn't able to transfer all my old data to my new phone. As a result I had to rely on one of my previous phone backups, but unfortunately the last time I updated was May... of last year.

So I ended up having a lot of old apps and year-old texts, as well as virtually no data in the apps I still had (pretty much games, so goodbye progress). I also had to redo my music selection as well, and I finally just got around to fixing up one of my go-to playlists: alternative rock. Stuff like Fall Out Boy, Panic! At the Disco and one band that not too many folks know in the states... Billy Talent.

I first heard of them through a friend I made in high school. He showed them to myself and a few others and we all pretty much got hooked. I've gotten every album they've made so far and I'm always on the lookout for more of their stuff. I think one of the things in particular I dig about BT is their use of harmonies. It always made their songs that much more fun whenever they came up in the car, especially on one of the long road trips we made back in the day. I recall two separate trips to Mall of America in Minnesota, which took maybe four or five houirs by car.

My friends and I were even lucky enough to catch a rare US concert of theirs way back when. I still have the ticket to that show somewhere in my room, but man it was great. I still remember our little group looking like we were the only ones who knew the lyrics to Billy Talent's latest album back then because, at the time, the album had been released in Canada but not the United States. Good times.

Actually, come to think of it, it's been awhile since I've been to a concert. The last one I went to was a P!ATD one, but when I'm thinking "been to a concert," I'm thinking "been in the first floor in the crowd." That Panic! one I sat at because... well, I'm an old man. That, and I didn't think Panic! was exactly "mosh" material. The next thing I'm probably going to is a Paramore concert for a birthday... probably going to sit at that one too, but we'll see. For now, I'll leave you with the Billy Talent song currently in my head: Hanging By a Thread.


No comments:

Post a Comment