Saturday, September 14, 2013

DAY 69 - Downward

Walking home from work today reminded me of something I used to do as a kid. Sometime during my elementary school years, for one reason or another I always stared directly down at my feet while walking. 

Maybe it was because I found the repetition of foot-after-foot entertaining. I certainly enjoy things that seem repetitive to others, like MMOs (mostly WoW) or JRPGs. I tend to grind like crazy in games like Fire Emblem or Pokemon. So perhaps it was repetition? 

Maybe it was because I was a shy kid. I grew up without a present father to pass on to me the "masculine" things, to teach me to be "a man." My mom is a nurse but she worked nights, so she was usually asleep whenever I was home from school. I didn't get a lot of experience with people really. Come to think of it, I didn't have more than five friends until perhaps the middle part of high school, which... seems really sad, ha. But in the end I learned how to fend for myself and I got myself a small group of friends I can trust, so it's not so bad.

Somehow, though, I stopped doing it. I think I just got tired of it in the end, that I should look up so that I could look and, perhaps, feel confident. I remember struggling with looking forward for awhile after I decided because, after all, habits are hard to break. In fact, I still catch myself doing it every so often; though moreso because I find the repetition interesting. 

If I kept that posture longer than I had, I think I would have had even worse back/neck aches than I do today. Oh lord.


Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment