Monday, September 9, 2013

DAY 64 - Remembrance

Today I learned that a teacher at my old high school passed away. He died in his sleep last night after a fight with cancer.

I never had a good reason to approach him because I never had him as a teacher nor as a coach, but one teacher I did have for the majority of my high school career was friends with him so I saw him a lot anyway. Whenever I saw him he always seemed so energetic and happy, cracking jokes with my teacher and the like. Those among my friends who did know him spoke nothing but positively about the man; indeed, he was a beloved and important teacher to my high school and its community.

Looking through the Facebook memorial page was no different. People spoke of him so kindly, so fondly. Despite my never knowing him personally, I always liked and respected him, and I'm sure there are countless others like me because he was just that kind of guy.

Thinking back on my high school days, I feel... well, how that saying goes. "Taking things for granted." It's not so much that I thought he'd be around forever, but I never expected him to be gone so soon. Then that other saying comes to mind... Why do bad things happen to good people? An eternal question it seems.

I intentionally keep things vague in on this blog to protect myself and others who may be associated with me, but doing it this time would feel like a disservice. So... Rest in peace, Mr. Horyn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment