Wednesday, September 11, 2013

DAY 66 - FIGHT

In lieu of talking more about not-happy things, today I'll be talking about... fighting games!

Not that I am particularly versed in the series, but I am a fan. Enough of a fan at least to have purchased a fight stick and to be contemplating modding it a bit for some personal flair, though cosmetic things are obviously not indicative of knowledge.

Back in high school and maybe early college I was really into a fighting game known as Guilty Gear, made my Aksys . I played extensively on pad because I was poor and couldn't afford a glorious fight stick, but that didn't stop me from doing pretty decent. I went to at least one tournament, Frosty... something or other, to support one of my friends and I played against a few tournament-goers. Long story short, I got my ass handed to me, but I still had fun. Unfortunately, Guilty Gear back in the day had some ownership issues and as a result, Aksys stopped coming out with new iterations of the game.

Fortunately for us, however, a spiritual successor popped up a bit later known as BlazBlue: Continuum Shift. My friends and I got pretty deep into that game, partly because of its similarity to GG (although it was slower in speed) but also because of it's crazy convoluted story. The game and its story mode was pretty well-crafted and I particularly enjoyed the fact that each character had their own story, not to mention that I was actually pretty decent at the game. It got even crazier in its later editions, but unfortunately my friends and I moved away from fighting games for awhile--enough to miss a whole version of the game.

Then flash forward to a year ago in August, when Persona 4 Arena came out, also made by Aksys. I had played Persona 3 in high school and 4 last year and loved them, so I was a little... well, pumped for this game. The idea of moving RPG characters to fighting games might be seem weird, but I loved both GG and BB, so I figured I'd give Arena a shot. And let me tell you... it was pretty fun. Unfortunately, when I picked it up I was unable to devote a lot of time to it due to varying complications, but recently they announced a sequel to it featuring more new characters, so I'm hoping to jump back into the fighting scene and get CRAZY SALTY. (That means mad, because I get mad at video games.)

Anyway, that's enough for now. I'll leave you with a list of characters I played (in order) and call it a day.


Guilty Gear Accent Core +
Main(s): Slayer, Baiken
Second Sub: May, Millia
Third Sub: I-No

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift
Main(s): Hazama, Ragna
Second Sub: Makoto, Jin
Third Sub: Mu-12

Persona 4 Arena
Main: Naoto
Sub: Yukiko
Third Sub: Chie

No comments:

Post a Comment