Thursday, September 5, 2013

DAY 60 - Samurai

A long, long time ago I had an equally long amount of hair. To illustrate, I am about 5'9"-5'10" on a given day, and at that one point in my life, my hair went down to my waist. After I finally got it cut, it measured out around two feet, though that was shoulder length and not the total length of my hair. But yes, I hope you get the idea here: it was real long.

I don't know why I kept it so long for an equally long period of time, but I did. I guess part of me hated getting haircuts; I'm particularly ticklish on my neck area, so I always hated getting the short "masculine" hair cuts. I was always stupidly conscious about that too, which probably contributed to that as well. Additionally, I was a combination of poor and lazy because, despite having a job at the time, the hours were really crappy (maybe 20 or so on a good paycheck) and I was nowhere near a hair cutter (because I don't drive).

Though in retrospect I probably spent way more money on shampoo than I would have on haircuts.

Still, it was both a pain and, to me at the time, a pleasure to have such long hair. It was fairly easy to manage because of my Asian (or Pacific Islander) heritage, which meant crazy straight hair without having to try. I was also savvy enough to know to shampoo and condition, so my hair was generally nice. One of my coworkers at the time used to call me "samurai" because of the long hair and me being Asian (or Pacific Islander), and perhaps that's why I kept it so long. Not because of him, mind you, but because it made me feel kind of like a samurai. Kinda cool.

Of course, a few years and a few years later, I knew I was completely and utterly wrong. It was an awful, awful idea. That's life, I guess, haha.


Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment