Wednesday, July 24, 2013

DAY SEVENTEEN - Smaller Things

Today I realized a couple of things while at work.

For starters, I realized that despite my voice sounding somewhat cheery, my face doesn't really, uh, move. It's like someone saying enthusiastically, "Have a great day!!!!!" but their expression is just flat. Like a ":|" face. And I realize that can be really off-putting, which would explain why people seem as much at the register. It's hard to smile when you don't want to, though. Well, constantly that is.

I also confirmed another cliche today, the one where taking the time to look and laugh at something that was annoying/upsetting can make you feel a whole lot better.

So what happened was this lady came in when I was about to do some stocking in the background. I sighed, maybe a bit too loudly, but when I went out to help her she said she'd wait for my coworker who was busy with another customer. I didn't really know what was up with that--maybe she knew him?--but I just said "okay," and left. Later I asked my coworker if he knew her, and he didn't.

It bothered me, to say the least. Like, da hell? I think it was equivalent to another time where this one semi-regular customer comes in and... well, in a phrase, she's an ice queen to me. Getting back to the other woman, when I told my coworker that she waited for him, he joked that maybe she had a crush on him or something and, while it wasn't kneeslappin' funny, I thought it was mildly amusing. It made me feel a whole lot better about that situation, and I was glad for that.

There were a few more realizations tonight, but I think I'll share those another time. Right now I have a tuna sandwich calling my name, that being...


Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment