Thursday, July 25, 2013

DAY EIGHTEEN - Up

I remember doing something kinda stupid but kinda cool in high school once.

It was lunch time. Kids tend to sit with the kids they know or the kids they're friends with. They weren't necessarily cliques though I guess each group had their similarities.

The lunch room was divided in two, with lunch tables and chairs on either end of the center, which was the kitchen/food area. I sat with some friends in one corner of the lunch room, the corner being closer to the kitchen area. This corner in particular featured a few plastic lounging chairs for people who wanted to sit in bigger seats, which is what I was doing on this particular day.

The people I hung out with back then were, I think, greatly varied. That's one of the benefits of growing up in this township--diversity. I was as much of a gamer back then as I was now, though perhaps moreso; at one point I remember being in a "gaming clan" and having all-night Halo sessions that consisted of maybe 4-5 games tops. It was crazy fun but also crazy intense. I got mad at video games and so did my friends because of how competitive we were, plus the teenage testosterone.

So one day there was a younger kid, maybe a freshman or something sitting in the same corner. High school freshman, they're just kids... but so are high school kids. Some friends my grade, maybe sophomores, were mocking this one kid for some reason. I don't remember why, but they were teasing him hard. I don't recall if I asked them to stop making fun of the freshman.

But what I do remember is that it bothered me. A lot.

And what I do recall is that I told them to stop it. Loudly.

I think I screamed, though I don't remember what; maybe for them to stop or something similar. I hit the side of the plastic chair I was sitting in, too, making a loud banging noise. Folks from other tables looked over, but that didn't matter to me because I was mad. I managed to get those bullies to stop, though, and then stormed off.

My memory is rather hazy. I don't know what happened after that; if they stopped teasing him after, or if the victim thanked me... though I am inclined to believe that it is a no. I don't recall getting in trouble for that either.

I think about this moment every now and then. I remind myself that once upon a time I stood up for people. Granted, I've surrounded myself with people who wouldn't do something as mean as to bully some dude, so the situation rarely comes up from within. But I need to remind myself about this so that if it does happen again, I'll be prepared.


Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment